Saturday, March 7, 2009

Cooking Up a Storm

You may have noticed that I've been really into cooking & baking lately. My constant visits to gorgeous food blogs on the net has awakened the long-dormant Martha Stewart/Ina Garten in me. And getting recipes and knowing that they look good & actually taste good makes it so much easier.

Just recently, I've edited my blog to include updates on some food blogs that I actually follow: smittenkitchen, pioneerwoman (I heart!), our very own pinoycook.net and simplyrecipes (have to add some more). Locally, I am inspired by blogs of scrappers (or relations) who also indulge in their culinary passion among them Tnapay, Sheryl Martinez (hubby's a fantastic chef/foodie), Lee Imao's food critique blog, among others.

And I got even more excited when I got this baby just this January 2009.

No, it's not a 5-digit Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer though it certainly looks like one. It's a Protech Meat Processor (well, don't ask me.....that's what it said on their mailer!) which I bought from Makro Cubao. The demo unit displayed right at the entrance immediately beckoned to me as I walked in to do my regular shopping.

"Buy me! Buy me! Haven't you been wanting to have me or something like me ever since?" "

"Bet you're expensive!"

"I'm only P3,999!"

I looked at the price and said to myself, "Hhmmmm.... P3,999 for a Kitchen Aid is not bad at all." (I didn't know yet what it actually was )

"Whoa!" That's when I did a double-take! How can a KA be so cheap!

Flashback: I HAVE been wishing to have one of these ever since. Years ago, I remember it selling for about P15k at Price Smart (now S&R). Well yes it was cheaper than the going price then at Rustan's but still much too steep for me. Besides, DH said that it was a refurbished unit, whatever that meant. Anyway, I still had my trusty hand mixer (but makes me pasmado after baking...lol!)

Mind you it wasn't an easy decision for me. What if it breaks down after a few days? What if it just looks like a KA but doesn't perform like one? Oh, but it's just too good a deal to let go so I interviewed the merchandiser and asked for a demo of a unit. He took out the bowl , the paddle, the dough hook, the wire whip... oh dear, they look exactly like a KA! A bonus is the meat grinder attachment with 2 blades. Am I dreaming?

Ok, after 10 minutes it was riding on my cart and I was walked around with a silly grin on my face as I hurried to finish my shopping.

So today I baked Crispy Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies by Smitten Kitchen and Ina Garten's Chocolate which I saw from Tnapay's blog.

The cookies turned out into giants because I was in hurry to put the dough on the pan. I used an ice cream scooper which makes it so much easier. Verdict: It is (!) crispy outside & chewy inside. Just make sure to add more chocolate chips if making giant ones. Definitely a keeper. Meanwhile, Ina Garten 's chocolate recipe is also a keeper. It's easy to follow and delicious. Just not so hot about the chocolate frosting. Maybe I'll use my old one.
Of course, DS was kind enough to "clean" the bowl & spatula for me.And for dinner, we had Pasta Puttanesca
and Chicken Pot Pie. Try this recipe I got from Smitten Kitchen! It is absolutely easy to make and really, really yummy!
I usually psych and prepare myself a few days before by looking for recipes and checking if I have the ingredients at hand. I just make one final trip to the grocery before the chosen cooking day. Hmmmm... I 'm really enjoying myself. And my family, too! Uh-oh, just a bit scared about the waist-line.

Oh well, I'm hanging up my apron for now . Now off to see what I can whip up next....

10 comments:

Alby said...

Wow Maybs, your kitchen creations look so yummy! Patikim!

If my hubby decides to get me a Kitchen Aid someday, I will be forced to whip up some baked goodies. Right now, I doubt if he will get me one as I spend more time in my scrap corner than in the kitchen. Well, maybe a Slice is more like it. :D

Alby said...

Hey, I also cooked putanesca yesterday - on penne, too! It's the easiest dish to prepare and it takes me away from my scrapping for only 30 minutes. Hehe.

tnapay said...

wow maybs! you have been very busy. :-D now, isn't that chocolate cake just sinful? hihihi.

i love you mixer. :-) am so excited to go to Makro. yoyin said she saw the protech available at our local Makro. hihi. hopefully, by tomorrow i can rest my hand mixer and get it out only for light mixing.

those cookies are humongous and i bet they are a perfect match to a glass of milk. :-D

{naglaway ako sa post mo} yummy!

tnapay said...

cutie ng baby mo. pareho sila ng role ng darling ko whenever i am in the kitchen. he just love the frosting so much. hihihi

Mei Ann Guerrero said...

Hi Maybs, I love pioneer woman and Ina Garten too! Tnapay lured me into her sinful chocolate cake as well. Have not tried it though coz I'm nursing a fever. Your version of the cake looks as good! The chicken pot pie looks yummy too! I wonder why most women who love scrapbooking are also in love with cooking?

Freethinker said...

Maybs! Natawa ako sa inclusion ng name ko sa cooking-related entry mo hahaha I really should convince hubby to make his own food blog. Do you know that he's been published in Food mag many years back for his midnight snack recipe? Anyway, I've actually been into baking and cooking. And I blame Anthony Bourdain for that, yummy...him :-P Seriously, the girls love freshly-baked cookies, biscuits, muffins, brownies and cake. Unfortunately, I haven't really thought of getting the equipment as I have just started making do with Betty Crocker's instant mixes and in fairness, they're not so bad :-) I kinda like that mixer, for the price and for my purposes. Hmmm...

marking said...

Wow Maybs the food looks all so good. Can we just be adopted by you? Hahaha. I used to do lots of cooking and baking but now I'd rather scrap.

Liza said...

Naku naman Maybs, I'm drooling as I read through your post. Naku, inggit ako sa iyo/inyo for being able to bake. That's one of my biggest frustrations. Well I don't have an oven kaya di pa sa akin pwede yan. And that mixer was a good buy! Dapat sulitin na yan. That chocolate cake looks yummy. I love pasta! Ay naku, tama na ito at lalo ako nagugutom! LOL!

Anonymous said...

woooh. chicken pot pie, chicken pot pie... chocolate cake, cookies, pasta...

I am now officially a PG blogger :)

sarap naman, maybs!

Freethinker said...

Hi Maybs, finally got myself a mixer, it's by Oster. I wanted to get one like yours but didn't find it in Landmark but it's about the same price as the Protech. I got the stand mixer, a 10-speed model that's yet to be used. Hahaha Hopefully soon :-) It's a joy to bake esp if you hear your kids say "scrumptious" one time too many. And I love the fact that I can eat it the moment it's out of the oven. Ambango no? :-)